Hidden Gems Madrid
Madrid is a city full of surprises, and it’s easy to get lost in the crowds at famous tourist spots like the Prado Museum and Retiro Park. But for airline staff and travel industry employees visiting the city, there are plenty of hidden gems to discover. Here are fifteen of the best:
- The Sabatini Gardens: These beautiful gardens are located behind the Royal Palace of Madrid and offer a peaceful escape from the busy city streets. The gardens feature fountains, statues, and lush greenery, making them perfect for a stroll or picnic.
- The Rastro: This famous flea market is held every Sunday in the La Latina neighbourhood, and it’s a great place to find unique souvenirs and gifts. From vintage clothing to antique furniture, there’s something for everyone at the Rastro.
- The Temple of Debod: This ancient Egyptian temple was gifted to Spain by the government of Egypt in 1968, and it’s now one of Madrid’s most unique landmarks. The temple offers beautiful city views and is an excellent spot for photography.
- The Cuatro Torres Business Area: This modern business district is home to some of Madrid’s tallest skyscrapers and offers excellent city views. The area is also home to several restaurants and bars, making it a perfect spot for a night out.
- The Casa de Campo: This large park is located on the west side of Madrid, and it’s a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. The park features lakes, gardens, and a zoo, making it an excellent spot for a family outing.
- The Mercado de San Miguel: This historical market is located in the heart of Madrid, and it’s a great place to sample local Spanish cuisine. From tapas to paella, there’s something for every taste here.
- The Museo Cerralbo: This museum is located in the Salamanca neighbourhood, and it’s home to a vast collection of art, antiques, and decorative objects. The museum is housed in a beautiful 19th-century mansion, making it an excellent spot for art lovers.
- The Palacio de Cristal: This beautiful glass palace is located in Retiro Park and is a great photography spot. The castle features a large pond and a variety of plants and flowers, making it an excellent place for a stroll.
- The Teatro de la Zarzuela: This historic theatre is located in the Chamberí neighbourhood and is an excellent spot for theatre lovers. The theatre features a variety of shows, including classical music concerts, ballet, and opera.
- The Matadero Madrid: This cultural centre is located in a former slaughterhouse and is home to various art and design exhibitions. The centre also features a rooftop terrace with great views of the city.
- The Parque del Oeste: This large park is located on the west side of Madrid and is home to the Temple of Debod. The park also features a lake, gardens, and a playground, making it an excellent spot for a family outing.
- The Mercado de San Ildefonso: This trendy food market is located in the Malasaña neighbourhood and is an excellent spot for foodies. The market features a variety of local food vendors, including tapas bars, coffee shops, and restaurants.
- The Museo del Ferrocarril is great for history buffs and transport enthusiasts. You can learn about the history of trains and transportation in Spain, and also enjoy the beautiful architecture of the old railway station building.
- The Parque del Capricho: This romantic park is located in the Alameda de Osuna neighbourhood, and it’s an excellent spot for a peaceful stroll. The park features a variety of plants, flowers and beautiful fountains, making it a perfect location for a picnic or a romantic date.
- The Basílica de San Francisco El Grande: This beautiful basilica is located in the La Latina neighbourhood, and it’s a great spot for art and architecture lovers. The basilica features a beautiful dome and frescoes by Francisco Bayeu, making it an excellent place for photography.
Madrid is a city that has a lot to offer, and these hidden gems are just a few of the many things to see and do. Whether you’re looking for culture, history, or just a chance to relax, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant city.